Meaning & Definition of Warn in English
1. Notify of danger, potential harm, or risk
- "The director warned him that he might be fired"
- "The doctor warned me about the dangers of smoking"
2. Admonish or counsel in terms of someone's behavior
- "I warned him not to go too far"
- "I warn you against false assumptions"
- "She warned him to be quiet"
- warn ,
- discourage ,
- admonish ,
3. Ask to go away
- "The old man warned the children off his property"
4. Notify, usually in advance
- "I warned you that i would ask some difficult questions"
Examples of using
If you change a sentence that already has some translations, please warn the authors of the translations about it.
I warn you against doing that again, or you'll be fined.
Why didn't anyone warn me?