Meaning & Definition of Voluntary in English
1. (military) a person who freely enlists for service
- volunteer ,
- military volunteer ,
2. Composition (often improvised) for a solo instrument (especially solo organ) and not a regular part of a religious service or musical performance
1. Of your own free will or design
- Done by choice
- Not forced or compelled
- "Man is a voluntary agent"
- "Participation was voluntary"
- "Voluntary manslaughter"
- "Voluntary generosity in times of disaster"
- "Voluntary social workers"
- "A voluntary confession"
2. Controlled by individual volition
- "Voluntary motions"
- "Voluntary muscles"