Meaning & Definition of Unit in English
1. Any division of quantity accepted as a standard of measurement or exchange
- "The dollar is the united states unit of currency"
- "A unit of wheat is a bushel"
- "Change per unit volume"
- unit of measurement ,
2. An individual or group or structure or other entity regarded as a structural or functional constituent of a whole
- "The reduced the number of units and installations"
- "The word is a basic linguistic unit"
3. An organization regarded as part of a larger social group
- "The coach said the offensive unit did a good job"
- "After the battle the soldier had trouble rejoining his unit"
- unit ,
- social unit
4. A single undivided whole
- "An idea is not a unit that can be moved from one brain to another"
5. A single undivided natural thing occurring in the composition of something else
- "Units of nucleic acids"
- unit ,
- building block
6. An assemblage of parts that is regarded as a single entity
- "How big is that part compared to the whole?"
- "The team is a unit"
- whole ,