Meaning & Definition of Tranquil in English
1. (of a body of water) free from disturbance by heavy waves
- "A ribbon of sand between the angry sea and the placid bay"
- "The quiet waters of a lagoon"
- "A lake of tranquil blue water reflecting a tranquil blue sky"
- "A smooth channel crossing"
- "Scarcely a ripple on the still water"
- "Unruffled water"
- placid ,
- quiet ,
- still ,
- tranquil ,
- smooth ,
2. Not agitated
- Without losing self-possession
- "Spoke in a calm voice"
- "Remained calm throughout the uproar"
- "He remained serene in the midst of turbulence"
- "A serene expression on her face"
- "She became more tranquil"
- "Tranquil life in the country"
- calm ,
- unagitated ,
- serene ,
Examples of using
Japan may appear to be peaceful and tranquil on the surface but the fact is that there are a lot of deep-rooted problems.