Meaning & Definition of Think in English
1. An instance of deliberate thinking
- "I need to give it a good think"
1. Judge or regard
- Look upon
- "I think he is very smart"
- "I believe her to be very smart"
- "I think that he is her boyfriend"
- "The racist conceives such people to be inferior"
- think ,
- believe ,
- consider ,
2. Expect, believe, or suppose
- "I imagine she earned a lot of money with her new novel"
- "I thought to find her in a bad state"
- "He didn't think to find her in the kitchen"
- "I guess she is angry at me for standing her up"
- think ,
- opine ,
- suppose ,
- imagine ,
- reckon ,
3. Use or exercise the mind or one's power of reason in order to make inferences, decisions, or arrive at a solution or judgments
- "I've been thinking all day and getting nowhere"
- think ,
- cogitate ,
4. Recall knowledge from memory
- Have a recollection
- "I can't remember saying any such thing"
- "I can't think what her last name was"
- "Can you remember her phone number?"
- "Do you remember that he once loved you?"
- "Call up memories"
- remember ,
- retrieve ,
- recall ,
- call back ,
- call up ,
- recollect ,
5. Imagine or visualize
- "Just think--you could be rich one day!"
- "Think what a scene it must have been!"
6. Focus one's attention on a certain state
- "Think big"
- "Think thin"
7. Have in mind as a purpose
- "I mean no harm"
- "I only meant to help you"
- "She didn't think to harm me"
- "We thought to return early that night"
- intend ,
- mean ,
8. Decide by pondering, reasoning, or reflecting
- "Can you think what to do next?"
- Reflect on, or reason about
- "Think the matter through"
- "Think how hard life in russia must be these days"
10. Dispose the mind in a certain way
- "Do you really think so?"
11. Have or formulate in the mind
- "Think good thoughts"
12. Be capable of conscious thought
- "Man is the only creature that thinks"
13. Bring into a given condition by mental preoccupation
- "She thought herself into a state of panic over the final exam"