Meaning & Definition of Task in English
1. Any piece of work that is undertaken or attempted
- "He prepared for great undertakings"
- undertaking ,
- project ,
- task ,
2. A specific piece of work required to be done as a duty or for a specific fee
- "Estimates of the city's loss on that job ranged as high as a million dollars"
- "The job of repairing the engine took several hours"
- "The endless task of classifying the samples"
- "The farmer's morning chores"
- job ,
- task ,
1. Assign a task to
- "I tasked him with looking after the children"
2. Use to the limit
- "You are taxing my patience"
- tax ,
Examples of using
Firstly: We, your forebears, cannot help you from the land beyond. Secondly: The slayer of wheelchairs came here incognito and therefore could only have brought a small number of guards with him. And thirdly: there is (supposedly) no beautiful princess. Got all that? Well, then have fun with your task.
Ho ho, you have always been the brightest amongst my grandchildren! But hearken now: I have come from the nether realm to entrust thee with a task of utmost importance!
Computers can perform a very complicated task in a fraction of a second.