Meaning & Definition of Substance in English
1. The real physical matter of which a person or thing consists
- "Dna is the substance of our genes"
2. The choicest or most essential or most vital part of some idea or experience
- "The gist of the prosecutor's argument"
- "The heart and soul of the republican party"
- "The nub of the story"
- kernel ,
- substance ,
- core ,
- center ,
- centre ,
- essence ,
- gist ,
- heart ,
- heart and soul ,
- inwardness ,
- marrow ,
- meat ,
- nub ,
- pith ,
- sum ,
3. The idea that is intended
- "What is the meaning of this proverb?"
- meaning ,
4. Material of a particular kind or constitution
- "The immune response recognizes invading substances"
5. Considerable capital (wealth or income)
- "He is a man of means"
- means ,
6. What a communication that is about something is about
- message ,
- content ,
- subject matter ,
7. A particular kind or species of matter with uniform properties
- "Shigella is one of the most toxic substances known to man"