Meaning & Definition of Striking in English
1. The physical coming together of two or more things
- "Contact with the pier scraped paint from the hull"
- contact ,
- impinging ,
2. The act of contacting one thing with another
- "Repeated hitting raised a large bruise"
- "After three misses she finally got a hit"
- hit ,
- hitting ,
1. Sensational in appearance or thrilling in effect
- "A dramatic sunset"
- "A dramatic pause"
- "A spectacular display of northern lights"
- "It was a spectacular play"
- "His striking good looks always created a sensation"
- dramatic ,
- spectacular ,
2. Having a quality that thrusts itself into attention
- "An outstanding fact of our time is that nations poisoned by anti semitism proved less fortunate in regard to their own freedom"
- "A new theory is the most prominent feature of the book"
- "Salient traits"
- "A spectacular rise in prices"
- "A striking thing about picadilly circus is the statue of eros in the center"
- "A striking resemblance between parent and child"
- outstanding ,
- prominent ,
- salient ,
- spectacular ,
Examples of using
It was a bright cold day in April, and the clocks were striking thirteen.
Lingvanex products for translation of text, images, voice, documents:
- Translation app for MAC
- Translator for PC
- Translation app for Iphone
- Translation app for Android
- Translate Extension for Firefox
- Language translation Bot for Slack
- Translate Extension for Chrome
- Translate Extension for Opera
- Phone Call Translator app
- Voice assistant for Translation - Amazon Alexa, Cortana