Meaning & Definition of Strength in English
1. The property of being physically or mentally strong
- "Fatigue sapped his strength"
2. Capability in terms of personnel and materiel that affect the capacity to fight a war
- "We faced an army of great strength"
- "Politicians have neglected our military posture"
- military capability ,
- military strength ,
- strength ,
- military posture ,
3. Physical energy or intensity
- "He hit with all the force he could muster"
- "It was destroyed by the strength of the gale"
- "A government has not the vitality and forcefulness of a living man"
- force ,
- forcefulness ,
4. An asset of special worth or utility
- "Cooking is his forte"
- forte ,
- strong suit ,
- long suit ,
- metier ,
- specialty ,
- speciality ,
- strong point ,
5. The power to induce the taking of a course of action or the embracing of a point of view by means of argument or entreaty
- "The strength of his argument settled the matter"
- persuasiveness ,
6. The amount of energy transmitted (as by acoustic or electromagnetic radiation)
- "He adjusted the intensity of the sound"
- "They measured the station's signal strength"
- intensity ,
- strength ,
- intensity level
7. Capacity to produce strong physiological or chemical effects
- "The toxin's potency"
- "The strength of the drinks"
- potency ,
- effectiveness ,
8. The condition of financial success
- "The strength of the company's stock in recent weeks"
9. Permanence by virtue of the power to resist stress or force
- "They advertised the durability of their products"
- lastingness ,
- durability ,
- enduringness ,