Meaning & Definition of Spin in English
1. A swift whirling motion (usually of a missile)
2. The act of rotating rapidly
- "He gave the crank a spin"
- "It broke off after much twisting"
3. A short drive in a car
- "He took the new car for a spin"
4. Rapid descent of an aircraft in a steep spiral
5. A distinctive interpretation (especially as used by politicians to sway public opinion)
- "The campaign put a favorable spin on the story"
1. Revolve quickly and repeatedly around one's own axis
- "The dervishes whirl around and around without getting dizzy"
- spin around,
2. Stream in jets, of liquids
- "The creek spun its course through the woods"
3. Cause to spin
- "Spin a coin"
4. Make up a story
- "Spin a yarn"
5. Form a web by making a thread
- "Spiders spin a fine web"
6. Work natural fibers into a thread
- "Spin silk"
7. Twist and turn so as to give an intended interpretation
- "The president's spokesmen had to spin the story to make it less embarrassing"
8. Prolong or extend
- "Spin out a visit"
- spin out