Meaning & Definition of Source in English
1. The place where something begins, where it springs into being
- "The italian beginning of the renaissance"
- "Jupiter was the origin of the radiation"
- "Pittsburgh is the source of the ohio river"
- "Communism's russian root"
2. A document (or organization) from which information is obtained
- "The reporter had two sources for the story"
3. Anything that provides inspiration for later work
4. A facility where something is available
5. A person who supplies information
6. Someone who originates or causes or initiates something
- "He was the generator of several complaints"
7. (technology) a process by which energy or a substance enters a system
- "A heat source"
- "A source of carbon dioxide"
8. Anything (a person or animal or plant or substance) in which an infectious agent normally lives and multiplies
- "An infectious agent depends on a reservoir for its survival"
9. A publication (or a passage from a publication) that is referred to
- "He carried an armful of references back to his desk"
- "He spent hours looking for the source of that quotation"
1. Get (a product) from another country or business
- "She sourced a supply of carpet"
- "They are sourcing from smaller companies"
2. Specify the origin of
- "The writer carefully sourced her report"