Meaning & Definition of Solemn in English
1. Dignified and somber in manner or character and committed to keeping promises
- "A grave god-fearing man"
- "A quiet sedate nature"
- "As sober as a judge"
- "A solemn promise"
- "The judge was solemn as he pronounced sentence"
- grave ,
- sedate ,
- sober ,
2. Characterized by a firm and humorless belief in the validity of your opinions
- "Both sides were deeply in earnest, even passionate"
- "An entirely sincere and cruel tyrant"
- "A film with a solemn social message"
- earnest ,
- sincere ,