Meaning & Definition of Slur in English
1. (music) a curved line spanning notes that are to be played legato
2. A disparaging remark
- "In the 19th century any reference to female sexuality was considered a vile aspersion"
- "It is difficult for a woman to understand a man's sensitivity to any slur on his virility"
- aspersion ,
3. A blemish made by dirt
- "He had a smudge on his cheek"
- smudge ,
- spot ,
- blot ,
- daub ,
- smear ,
- smirch ,
1. Play smoothly or legato
- "The pianist slurred the most beautiful passage in the sonata"
2. Speak disparagingly of
- E.g., make a racial slur
- "Your comments are slurring your co-workers"
3. Utter indistinctly
4. Become vague or indistinct
- "The distinction between the two theories blurred"
- blur ,
- dim ,