Meaning & Definition of Shy in English
1. A quick throw
- "He gave the ball a shy to the first baseman"
1. Start suddenly, as from fright
2. Throw quickly
1. Lacking self-confidence
- "Stood in the doorway diffident and abashed"
- "Problems that call for bold not timid responses"
- "A very unsure young man"
- diffident ,
- shy ,
- timid ,
- "Eleven is one shy of a dozen"
3. Wary and distrustful
- Disposed to avoid persons or things
- "Shy of strangers"
Examples of using
I'm shy, but I take care of myself.
Don't be shy, talk to me.
Tom is extremely shy.