Meaning & Definition of Shorten in English
1. Make shorter than originally intended
- Reduce or retrench in length or duration
- "He shortened his trip due to illness"
2. Reduce in scope while retaining essential elements
- "The manuscript must be shortened"
- abridge ,
- foreshorten ,
- abbreviate ,
- shorten ,
- cut ,
- contract ,
3. Make short or shorter
- "Shorten the skirt"
- "Shorten the rope by a few inches"
4. Become short or shorter
- "In winter, the days shorten"
5. Edit by omitting or modifying parts considered indelicate
- "Bowdlerize a novel"
- bowdlerize ,
- bowdlerise ,
- expurgate ,
- castrate ,