Meaning & Definition of Shore in English
1. The land along the edge of a body of water
2. A beam or timber that is propped against a structure to provide support
- shore ,
1. Serve as a shore to
- "The river was shored by trees"
2. Arrive on shore
- "The ship landed in pearl harbor"
- land ,
- set ashore ,
3. Support by placing against something solid or rigid
- "Shore and buttress an old building"
- prop up ,
- prop ,
- shore up ,
Examples of using
The powerful rip current carried Tom far away from the shore.
Tom usually fishes off the dock, but sometimes he fishes from the shore.
The promenade is parallel to the shore.