Meaning & Definition of Shine in English
1. The quality of being bright and sending out rays of light
1. Be bright by reflecting or casting light
- "Drive carefully--the wet road reflects"
2. Emit light
- Be bright, as of the sun or a light
- "The sun shone bright that day"
- "The fire beamed on their faces"
3. Be shiny, as if wet
- "His eyes were glistening"
4. Be distinguished or eminent
- "His talent shines"
5. Be clear and obvious
- "A shining example"
6. Have a complexion with a strong bright color, such as red or pink
- "Her face glowed when she came out of the sauna"
7. Throw or flash the light of (a lamp)
- "Shine the light on that window, please"
8. Touch or seem as if touching visually or audibly
- "Light fell on her face"
- "The sun shone on the fields"
- "The light struck the golden necklace"
- "A strange sound struck my ears"
9. Experience a feeling of well-being or happiness, as from good health or an intense emotion
- "She was beaming with joy"
- "Her face radiated with happiness"
10. Make (a surface) shine
- "Shine the silver, please"
- "Polish my shoes"