Meaning & Definition of Scarcely in English
1. Only a very short time before
- "They could barely hear the speaker"
- "We hardly knew them"
- "Just missed being hit"
- "Had scarcely rung the bell when the door flew open"
- "Would have scarce arrived before she would have found some excuse to leave"- w.b.yeats
2. Almost not
- "He hardly ever goes fishing"
- "He was hardly more than sixteen years old"
- "They scarcely ever used the emergency generator"
Examples of using
She spoke scarcely a word of English.
He can scarcely write his name.