Meaning & Definition of Retain in English
1. Hold back within
- "This soil retains water"
- "I retain this drug for a long time"
- "The dam retains the water"
2. Allow to remain in a place or position or maintain a property or feature
- "We cannot continue several servants any longer"
- "She retains a lawyer"
- "The family's fortune waned and they could not keep their household staff"
- "Our grant has run out and we cannot keep you on"
- "We kept the work going as long as we could"
- "She retained her composure"
- "This garment retains its shape even after many washings"
- retain ,
- continue ,
- keep ,
- keep on
3. Secure and keep for possible future use or application
- "The landlord retained the security deposit"
- "I reserve the right to disagree"
- retain ,
- hold ,
- keep back ,
- hold back
4. Keep in one's mind
- "I cannot retain so much information"
Lingvanex products for translation of text, images, voice, documents:
- Translation app for MAC
- Translator for PC
- Translation app for Iphone
- Translation app for Android
- Translate Extension for Firefox
- Language translation Bot for Slack
- Translate Extension for Chrome
- Translate Extension for Opera
- Phone Call Translator app
- Voice assistant for Translation - Amazon Alexa, Cortana