Meaning & Definition of Respect in English
1. (usually preceded by `in') a detail or point
- "It differs in that respect"
2. The condition of being honored (esteemed or respected or well regarded)
- "It is held in esteem"
- "A man who has earned high regard"
3. An attitude of admiration or esteem
- "She lost all respect for him"
4. A courteous expression (by word or deed) of esteem or regard
- "His deference to her wishes was very flattering"
- "Be sure to give my respects to the dean"
5. Behavior intended to please your parents
- "Their children were never very strong on obedience"
- "He went to law school out of respect for his father's wishes"
6. A feeling of friendship and esteem
- "She mistook his manly regard for love"
- "He inspires respect"
7. Courteous regard for people's feelings
- "In deference to your wishes"
- "Out of respect for his privacy"
1. Regard highly
- Think much of
- "I respect his judgement"
- "We prize his creativity"
2. Show respect towards
- "Honor your parents!"
- abide by,