Meaning & Definition of Reserve in English
1. Formality and propriety of manner
2. Something kept back or saved for future use or a special purpose
3. An athlete who plays only when a starter on the team is replaced
4. (medicine) potential capacity to respond in order to maintain vital functions
5. A district that is reserved for particular purpose
6. Armed forces that are not on active duty but can be called in an emergency
- military reserve,
7. The trait of being uncommunicative
- Not volunteering anything more than necessary
1. Hold back or set aside, especially for future use or contingency
- "They held back their applause in anticipation"
2. Give or assign a resource to a particular person or cause
- "I will earmark this money for your research"
- "She sets aside time for meditation every day"
- set aside,
3. Obtain or arrange (for oneself) in advance
- "We managed to reserve a table at maxim's"
4. Arrange for and reserve (something for someone else) in advance
- "Reserve me a seat on a flight"
- "The agent booked tickets to the show for the whole family"
- "Please hold a table at maxim's"