Meaning & Definition of Representative in English
1. A person who represents others
2. An advocate who represents someone else's policy or purpose
- "The meeting was attended by spokespersons for all the major organs of government"
- spokesperson ,
- interpreter ,
- representative ,
3. A member of the united states house of representatives
- congressman ,
- congresswoman ,
4. An item of information that is typical of a class or group
- "This patient provides a typical example of the syndrome"
- "There is an example on page 10"
- example ,
- illustration ,
- instance ,
1. Serving to represent or typify
- "Representative moviegoers"
- "A representative modern play"
2. Standing for something else
- "The bald eagle is representative of the united states"
3. Being or characteristic of government by representation in which citizens exercise power through elected officers and representatives
- "Representative government as defined by abraham lincoln is government of the people, by the people, for the people"