Meaning & Definition of Quietly in English
1. With low volume
- "Speak softly but carry a big stick"
- "She spoke quietly to the child"
- "The radio was playing softly"
- softly ,
2. With little or no sound
- "The class was listening quietly and intently"
- "She was crying quietly"
3. With little or no activity or no agitation (`quiet' is a nonstandard variant for `quietly')
- "Her hands rested quietly in her lap"
- "The rock star was quietly led out the back door"
- "Sit here as quiet as you can"
- quietly ,
4. In a restful manner
- "The streets are restfully sunny and still for the town is at mass"
- restfully ,
Examples of using
She sat down next to him and listened quietly.
The injured man moaned quietly.
Tom quietly closed the bedroom door.