Meaning & Definition of Put in English
1. The option to sell a given stock (or stock index or commodity future) at a given price before a given date
- put option,
1. Put into a certain place or abstract location
- "Put your things here"
- "Set the tray down"
- "Set the dogs on the scent of the missing children"
- "Place emphasis on a certain point"
2. Cause to be in a certain state
- Cause to be in a certain relation
- "That song put me in awful good humor"
- "Put your ideas in writing"
3. Formulate in a particular style or language
- "I wouldn't put it that way"
- "She cast her request in very polite language"
4. Attribute or give
- "She put too much emphasis on her the last statement"
- "He put all his efforts into this job"
- "The teacher put an interesting twist to the interpretation of the story"
5. Make an investment
- "Put money into bonds"
- "We put the time of arrival at 8 p.m."
7. Cause (someone) to undergo something
- "He put her to the torture"
- "Put these words to music"
9. Arrange thoughts, ideas, temporal events
- "Arrange my schedule"
- "Set up one's life"
- "I put these memories with those of bygone times"
- set up,