Meaning & Definition of Promise in English
1. A verbal commitment by one person to another agreeing to do (or not to do) something in the future
2. Grounds for feeling hopeful about the future
- "There is little or no promise that he will recover"
1. Make a promise or commitment
2. Promise to undertake or give
- "I promise you my best effort"
3. Make a prediction about
- Tell in advance
- "Call the outcome of an election"
4. Give grounds for expectations
- "The new results were promising"
- "The results promised fame and glory"