Meaning & Definition of Private in English
1. An enlisted man of the lowest rank in the army or marines
- "Our prisoner was just a private and knew nothing of value"
- private ,
- buck private ,
- common soldier
1. Confined to particular persons or groups or providing privacy
- "A private place"
- "Private discussions"
- "Private lessons"
- "A private club"
- "A private secretary"
- "Private property"
- "The former president is now a private citizen"
- "Public figures struggle to maintain a private life"
2. Concerning things deeply private and personal
- "Private correspondence"
- "Private family matters"
3. Concerning one person exclusively
- "We all have individual cars"
- "Each room has a private bath"
- individual(a) ,
4. Not expressed
- "Secret (or private) thoughts"
- secret ,
Examples of using
After the meeting was over, everyone said goodbye and returned to the mystery of their private lives.
Let's go somewhere private so we can talk.
Why don't we go somewhere private?