Meaning & Definition of Presume in English
1. Take to be the case or to be true
- Accept without verification or proof
- "I assume his train was late"
- assume ,
- presume ,
- take for granted
2. Take upon oneself
- Act presumptuously, without permission
- "How dare you call my lawyer?"
- make bold ,
- dare ,
3. Constitute reasonable evidence for
- "A restaurant bill presumes the consumption of food"
4. Take liberties or act with too much confidence
Examples of using
Let's presume you're right.
Woe to those who presume that they are destined to ‘enlighten’ others, not themselves!
Don't presume to tell me how to raise my children!