Meaning & Definition of Plug in English
1. Blockage consisting of an object designed to fill a hole tightly
2. A wad of something chewable as tobacco
3. Blatant or sensational promotion
4. Electrical device that fits into the cylinder head of an internal-combustion engine and ignites the gas by means of an electric spark
- spark plug,
- sparking plug,
5. An electrical device with two or three pins that is inserted in a socket to make an electrical connection
- male plug
6. An upright hydrant for drawing water to use in fighting a fire
- fire hydrant,
7. An old or over-worked horse
1. Fill or close tightly with or as if with a plug
- "Plug the hole"
- "Stop up the leak"
- stop up,
2. Persist in working hard
- "Students must plug away at this problem"
- plug away
3. Deliver a quick blow to
- "He punched me in the stomach"
4. Make a plug for
- Praise the qualities or in order to sell or promote
5. Insert a plug into
- "Plug the wall"
6. Insert as a plug
- "She plugged a cork in the wine bottle"