Meaning & Definition of Plague in English
1. A serious (sometimes fatal) infection of rodents caused by yersinia pestis and accidentally transmitted to humans by the bite of a flea that has bitten an infected animal
2. Any epidemic disease with a high death rate
3. A swarm of insects that attack plants
- "A plague of grasshoppers"
4. Any large scale calamity (especially when thought to be sent by god)
5. An annoyance
- "Those children are a damn plague"
1. Cause to suffer a blight
- "Too much rain may blight the garden with mold"
2. Annoy continually or chronically
- "He is known to harry his staff when he is overworked"
- "This man harasses his female co-workers"