Meaning & Definition of People in English
1. (plural) any group of human beings (men or women or children) collectively
- "Old people"
- "There were at least 200 people in the audience"
2. The body of citizens of a state or country
- "The spanish people"
- citizenry ,
3. Members of a family line
- "His people have been farmers for generations"
- "Are your people still alive?"
4. The common people generally
- "Separate the warriors from the mass"
- "Power to the people"
- multitude ,
- masses ,
- mass ,
- hoi polloi ,
- people ,
- the great unwashed
1. Fill with people
- "Stalin wanted to people the empty steppes"
2. Furnish with people
- "The plains are sparsely populated"
Examples of using
A definite advantage of automatic doors is that people can't spread their contagious diseases by touching door handles.
Scores of people died in the epidemic.
Control freaks usually make people around them very unhappy.