Meaning & Definition of Parallel in English
1. Something having the property of being analogous to something else
- analogue ,
- analog ,
2. An imaginary line around the earth parallel to the equator
- latitude ,
- line of latitude ,
- parallel of latitude ,
3. (mathematics) one of a set of parallel geometric figures (parallel lines or planes)
- "Parallels never meet"
1. Be parallel to
- "Their roles are paralleled by ours"
2. Make or place parallel to something
- "They paralleled the ditch to the highway"
- parallel ,
3. Duplicate or match
- "The polished surface twinned his face and chest in reverse"
- twin ,
- duplicate ,
1. Being everywhere equidistant and not intersecting
- "Parallel lines never converge"
- "Concentric circles are parallel"
- "Dancers in two parallel rows"
2. Of or relating to the simultaneous performance of multiple operations
- "Parallel processing"