Meaning & Definition of Opposite in English
1. A word that expresses a meaning opposed to the meaning of another word, in which case the two words are antonyms of each other
- "To him the antonym of `gay' was `depressed'"
- antonym ,
- opposite word ,
2. A relation of direct opposition
- "We thought sue was older than bill but just the reverse was true"
- reverse ,
- contrary ,
3. A contestant that you are matched against
- opposition ,
- opponent ,
4. Something inverted in sequence or character or effect
- "When the direct approach failed he tried the inverse"
- inverse ,
1. Being directly across from each other
- "And i on the opposite shore will be, ready to ride and spread the alarm"- longfellow
- "We lived on opposite sides of the street"
- "At opposite poles"
2. Of leaves etc
- Growing in pairs on either side of a stem
- "Opposite leaves"
- opposite ,
3. Moving or facing away from each other
- "Looking in opposite directions"
- "They went in opposite directions"
4. The other one of a complementary pair
- "The opposite sex"
- "The two chess kings are set up on squares of opposite colors"
5. Altogether different in nature or quality or significance
- "The medicine's effect was opposite to that intended"
- "It is said that opposite characters make a union happiest"- charles reade
6. Characterized by opposite extremes
- Completely opposed
- "In diametric contradiction to his claims"
- "Diametrical (or opposite) points of view"
- "Opposite meanings"
- "Extreme and indefensible polar positions"
- diametric ,
- diametrical ,
- opposite ,
1. Directly facing each other
- "The two photographs lay face-to-face on the table"
- "Lived all their lives in houses face-to-face across the street"
- "They sat opposite at the table"
- face-to-face ,