Meaning & Definition of Only in English
1. Being the only one
- Single and isolated from others
- "The lone doctor in the entire county"
- "A lonesome pine"
- "An only child"
- "The sole heir"
- "The sole example"
- "A solitary instance of cowardice"
- "A solitary speck in the sky"
- lone(a) ,
- lonesome(a) ,
- only(a) ,
- sole(a) ,
2. Exclusive of anyone or anything else
- "She alone believed him"
- "Cannot live by bread alone"
- "I'll have this car and this car only"
- alone(p) ,
1. And nothing more
- "I was merely asking"
- "It is simply a matter of time"
- "Just a scratch"
- "He was only a child"
- "Hopes that last but a moment"
- merely ,
- simply ,
- just ,
- only ,
2. Without any others being included or involved
- "Was entirely to blame"
- "A school devoted entirely to the needs of problem children"
- "He works for mr. smith exclusively"
- "Did it solely for money"
- "The burden of proof rests on the prosecution alone"
- "A privilege granted only to him"
- entirely ,
- exclusively ,
- solely ,
- alone ,
3. With nevertheless the final result
- "He arrived only to find his wife dead"
- "We won only to lose again in the next round"
4. In the final outcome
- "These news will only make you more upset"
5. Except that
- "It was the same story
- Only this time she came out better"
6. Never except when
- "Call me only if your cold gets worse"
- only ,
- only if ,
- only when
7. As recently as
- "I spoke to him only an hour ago"
Examples of using
Lingvanex products for translation of text, images, voice, documents:
- Translation app for MAC
- Translator for PC
- Translation app for Iphone
- Translation app for Android
- Translate Extension for Firefox
- Language translation Bot for Slack
- Translate Extension for Chrome
- Translate Extension for Opera
- Phone Call Translator app
- Voice assistant for Translation - Amazon Alexa, Cortana