Meaning & Definition of Object in English
1. A tangible and visible entity
- An entity that can cast a shadow
- "It was full of rackets, balls and other objects"
- physical object
2. The goal intended to be attained (and which is believed to be attainable)
- "The sole object of her trip was to see her children"
3. (grammar) a constituent that is acted upon
- "The object of the verb"
4. The focus of cognitions or feelings
- "Objects of thought"
- "The object of my affection"
5. (computing) a discrete item that provides a description of virtually anything known to a computer
- "In object-oriented programming, objects include data and define its status, its methods of operation and how it interacts with other objects"
1. Express or raise an objection or protest or criticism or express dissent
- "She never objected to the amount of work her boss charged her with"
- "When asked to drive the truck, she objected that she did not have a driver's license"
2. Be averse to or express disapproval of
- "My wife objects to modern furniture"