Meaning & Definition of Nearly in English
1. (of actions or states) slightly short of or not quite accomplished
- All but
- "The job is (just) about done"
- "The baby was almost asleep when the alarm sounded"
- "We're almost finished"
- "The car all but ran her down"
- "He nearly fainted"
- "Talked for nigh onto 2 hours"
- "The recording is well-nigh perfect"
- "Virtually all the parties signed the contract"
- "I was near exhausted by the run"
- "Most everyone agrees"
- about ,
- almost ,
- most ,
- nearly ,
- near ,
- nigh ,
- virtually ,
2. In a close manner
- "The two phenomena are intimately connected"
- "The person most nearly concerned"
- closely ,
- intimately ,
Examples of using
This dictionary is nearly useless.
It took me nearly two hours to write the essay.
Fingernails grow nearly four times faster than toenails.
I was kept waiting nearly half an hour.
The dictionary gathers nearly half a million words.
I was nearly ten when my parents gave me a chemistry set for Christmas.
He was nearly run over at a crossing.
Crossing the street, I was nearly hit by a car.
The birth rate and death rate were nearly equal.
The coffee was so hot that I nearly burned my tongue.
The sea covers nearly three-fourths of the earth's surface.
When I ask people what they regret most about high school, they nearly all say the same thing: that they wasted so much time.
Lingvanex products for translation of text, images, voice, documents:
- Translation app for MAC
- Translator for PC
- Translation app for Iphone
- Translation app for Android
- Translate Extension for Firefox
- Language translation Bot for Slack
- Translate Extension for Chrome
- Translate Extension for Opera
- Phone Call Translator app
- Voice assistant for Translation - Amazon Alexa, Cortana