Meaning & Definition of Nap in English
1. A period of time spent sleeping
- "He felt better after a little sleep"
- "There wasn't time for a nap"
2. A soft or fuzzy surface texture
3. The yarn (as in a rug or velvet or corduroy) that stands up from the weave
- "For uniform color and texture tailors cut velvet with the pile running the same direction"
4. Sleeping for a short period of time (usually not in bed)
- cat sleep,
- forty winks,
- short sleep,
5. A card game similar to whist
- Usually played for stakes
1. Take a siesta
- "She naps everyday after lunch for an hour"
- catch a wink