Meaning & Definition of Most in English
1. (superlative of `many' used with count nouns and often preceded by `the') quantifier meaning the greatest in number
- "Who has the most apples?"
- "Most people like eggs"
- "Most fishes have fins"
2. The superlative of `much' that can be used with mass nouns and is usually preceded by `the'
- A quantifier meaning the greatest in amount or extent or degree
- "Made the most money he could"
- "What attracts the most attention?"
- "Made the most of a bad deal"
1. Used to form the superlative
- "The king cobra is the most dangerous snake"
- most ,
- to the highest degree
- "A most welcome relief"
3. (of actions or states) slightly short of or not quite accomplished
- All but
- "The job is (just) about done"
- "The baby was almost asleep when the alarm sounded"
- "We're almost finished"
- "The car all but ran her down"
- "He nearly fainted"
- "Talked for nigh onto 2 hours"
- "The recording is well-nigh perfect"
- "Virtually all the parties signed the contract"
- "I was near exhausted by the run"
- "Most everyone agrees"
- about ,
- almost ,
- most ,
- nearly ,
- near ,
- nigh ,
- virtually ,