Meaning & Definition of Melancholy in English
1. A feeling of thoughtful sadness
2. A constitutional tendency to be gloomy and depressed
3. A humor that was once believed to be secreted by the kidneys or spleen and to cause sadness and melancholy
- black bile ,
1. Characterized by or causing or expressing sadness
- "Growing more melancholy every hour"
- "Her melancholic smile"
- "We acquainted him with the melancholy truth"
- melancholy ,
2. Grave or even gloomy in character
- "Solemn and mournful music"
- "A suit of somber black"
- "A somber mood"
- somber ,
- sombre ,