Meaning & Definition of Manage in English
1. Be successful
- Achieve a goal
- "She succeeded in persuading us all"
- "I managed to carry the box upstairs"
- "She pulled it off, even though we never thought her capable of it"
- "The pianist negociated the difficult runs"
- pull off ,
- negociate ,
- bring off ,
- carry off ,
2. Be in charge of, act on, or dispose of
- "I can deal with this crew of workers"
- "This blender can't handle nuts"
- "She managed her parents' affairs after they got too old"
- manage ,
- deal ,
- care ,
3. Come to terms with
- "We got by on just a gallon of gas"
- "They made do on half a loaf of bread every day"
- cope ,
- get by ,
- make out ,
- make do ,
- contend ,
- grapple ,
- deal ,
4. Watch and direct
- "Who is overseeing this project?"
- oversee ,
- supervise ,
- superintend ,
5. Achieve something by means of trickery or devious methods
- wangle ,
- finagle ,
6. Carry on or function
- "We could do with a little more help around here"
- do ,
7. Handle effectively
- "The burglar wielded an axe"
- "The young violinist didn't manage her bow very well"
- wield ,
- handle ,
Examples of using
How did you manage that?
Nelson Mandela was one of those rare people who manage to win universal acclaim throughout the world.
We quarrel a lot, but we always manage to patch things up.