Meaning & Definition of Lurid in English
1. Horrible in fierceness or savagery
- "Lurid crimes"
- "A lurid life"
2. Glaringly vivid and graphic
- Marked by sensationalism
- "Lurid details of the accident"
- lurid ,
3. Shining with an unnatural red glow as of fire seen through smoke
- "A lurid sunset"
- "Lurid flames"
4. Ghastly pale
- "Moonlight gave the statue a lurid luminence"
Examples of using
Day after day the tabloids titillated the public with lurid details about the president's marital infidelity.