Meaning & Definition of Layer in English
1. Single thickness of usually some homogeneous substance
- "Slices of hard-boiled egg on a bed of spinach"
2. A relatively thin sheetlike expanse or region lying over or under another
3. An abstract place usually conceived as having depth
- "A good actor communicates on several levels"
- "A simile has at least two layers of meaning"
- "The mind functions on many strata simultaneously"
4. A hen that lays eggs
5. Thin structure composed of a single thickness of cells
1. Make or form a layer
- "Layer the different colored sands"