Meaning & Definition of Irony in English
1. Witty language used to convey insults or scorn
- "He used sarcasm to upset his opponent"
- "Irony is wasted on the stupid"
- "Satire is a sort of glass, wherein beholders do generally discover everybody's face but their own"--jonathan swift
- sarcasm ,
- irony ,
- satire ,
- caustic remark
2. Incongruity between what might be expected and what actually occurs
- "The irony of ireland's copying the nation she most hated"
3. A trope that involves incongruity between what is expected and what occurs
Lingvanex products for translation of text, images, voice, documents:
- Translation app for MAC
- Translator for PC
- Translation app for Iphone
- Translation app for Android
- Translate Extension for Firefox
- Language translation Bot for Slack
- Translate Extension for Chrome
- Translate Extension for Opera
- Phone Call Translator app
- Voice assistant for Translation - Amazon Alexa, Cortana