Meaning & Definition of Instead in English
1. In place of, or as an alternative to
- "Felix became a herpetologist instead"
- "Alternatively we could buy a used car"
- alternatively ,
- instead ,
- or else
2. On the contrary
- "Rather than disappoint the children, he did two quick tricks before he left"
- "He didn't call
- Rather (or instead), he wrote her a letter"
- "Used english terms instead of latin ones"
- rather ,
Examples of using
You should travel while you're young instead of spending time in front of the computer.
Wrath doesn't control me, I control wrath instead.
What do you want instead?