Meaning & Definition of Humble in English
1. Cause to be unpretentious
- "This experience will humble him"
2. Cause to feel shame
- Hurt the pride of
- "He humiliated his colleague by criticising him in front of the boss"
1. Low or inferior in station or quality
- "A humble cottage"
- "A lowly parish priest"
- "A modest man of the people"
- "Small beginnings"
2. Marked by meekness or modesty
- Not arrogant or prideful
- "A humble apology"
- "Essentially humble...and self-effacing, he achieved the highest formal honors and distinctions"- b.k.malinowski
3. Used of unskilled work (especially domestic work)
4. Of low birth or station (`base' is archaic in this sense)
- "Baseborn wretches with dirty faces"
- "Of humble (or lowly) birth"
Examples of using
Tom is very humble.
I am just a humble teacher.