Meaning & Definition of However in English
1. Despite anything to the contrary (usually following a concession)
- "Although i'm a little afraid, however i'd like to try it"
- "While we disliked each other, nevertheless we agreed"
- "He was a stern yet fair master"
- "Granted that it is dangerous, all the same i still want to go"
- however ,
- nevertheless ,
- withal ,
- still ,
- yet ,
- all the same ,
- even so ,
- nonetheless ,
2. By contrast
- On the other hand
- "The first part was easy
- The second, however, took hours"
3. To whatever degree or extent
- "The results, however general, are important"
- "They have begun, however reluctantly, to acknowledge the legitimacy of some of the opposition's concerns"
4. In whatever way or manner
- "Victory, however it was brought about, was sweet"
- "However he did it, it was very clever"
Examples of using
In Hong Kong there are two types of liquid food which are considered absolutely vital: Cantonese soup and congee. It is curious to note that however "thick and ingredient-filled" the soup is, it's always drunk and however "thin" the congee is, it's always eaten.
In order to study computational linguistics it's necessary to know various languages, however, one also has to be familiar with the use of computers.
In Ankara, I made clear that America is not – and never will be – at war with Islam. We will, however, relentlessly confront violent extremists who pose a grave threat to our security.