Meaning & Definition of Hatch in English
1. The production of young from an egg
2. Shading consisting of multiple crossing lines
3. A movable barrier covering a hatchway
1. Emerge from the eggs
- "Young birds, fish, and reptiles hatch"
2. Devise or invent
- "He thought up a plan to get rich quickly"
- "No-one had ever thought of such a clever piece of software"
- think up,
- think of,
- dream up,
3. Inlay with narrow strips or lines of a different substance such as gold or silver, for the purpose of decorating
4. Draw, cut, or engrave lines, usually parallel, on metal, wood, or paper
- "Hatch the sheet"
5. Sit on (eggs)
- "Birds brood"
- "The female covers the eggs"