Meaning & Definition of Happen in English
1. Come to pass
- "What is happening?"
- "The meeting took place off without an incidence"
- "Nothing occurred that seemed important"
- go on,
- pass off,
- fall out,
- come about,
- take place
2. Happen, occur, or be the case in the course of events or by chance
- "It happens that today is my birthday"
- "These things befell" (santayana)
3. Chance to be or do something, without intention or causation
- "I happen to have just what you need!"
4. Come into being
- Become reality
- "Her dream really materialized"
5. Come upon, as if by accident
- Meet with
- "We find this idea in plato"
- "I happened upon the most wonderful bakery not very far from here"
- "She chanced upon an interesting book in the bookstore the other day"
Examples of using
Impossible things happen that we can't understand. They're completely unimaginable.
Old men are dangerous: it doesn't matter to them what is going to happen to the world.
How could it happen all by itself? It seems someone's wicked design is involved here.