Meaning & Definition of Hanging in English
1. Decoration that is hung (as a tapestry) on a wall or over a window
- "The cold castle walls were covered with hangings"
- hanging ,
- wall hanging
2. A form of capital punishment
- Victim is suspended by the neck from a gallows or gibbet until dead
- "In those days the hanging of criminals was a public entertainment"
3. The act of suspending something (hanging it from above so it moves freely)
- "There was a small ceremony for the hanging of the portrait"
- suspension ,
- dangling ,
Examples of using
A very beautiful picture is hanging on the wall.
Tom and Mary always seem to be hanging out together.
The chair was too high, and I found myself with my legs hanging in the air.
I told you before that I'm not interested in hanging out with you.
His life is hanging by a thread.
Tom doesn't enjoy hanging out with Mary.
Lingvanex products for translation of text, images, voice, documents:
- Translation app for MAC
- Translator for PC
- Translation app for Iphone
- Translation app for Android
- Translate Extension for Firefox
- Language translation Bot for Slack
- Translate Extension for Chrome
- Translate Extension for Opera
- Phone Call Translator app
- Voice assistant for Translation - Amazon Alexa, Cortana