Meaning & Definition of Govern in English
1. Bring into conformity with rules or principles or usage
- Impose regulations
- "We cannot regulate the way people dress"
- "This town likes to regulate"
- regulate ,
- regularize ,
- regularise ,
- order ,
2. Direct or strongly influence the behavior of
- "His belief in god governs his conduct"
3. Exercise authority over
- As of nations
- "Who is governing the country now?"
- govern ,
4. Require to be in a certain grammatical case, voice, or mood
- "Most transitive verbs govern the accusative case in german"