Meaning & Definition of Freeze in English
1. The withdrawal of heat to change something from a liquid to a solid
2. Weather cold enough to cause freezing
3. An interruption or temporary suspension of progress or movement
- "A halt in the arms race"
- "A nuclear freeze"
4. Fixing (of prices or wages etc) at a particular level
- "A freeze on hiring"
1. Stop moving or become immobilized
- "When he saw the police car he froze"
- stop dead
2. Change to ice
- "The water in the bowl froze"
3. Be cold
- "I could freeze to death in this office when the air conditioning is turned on"
4. Cause to freeze
- "Freeze the leftover food"
5. Stop a process or a habit by imposing a freeze on it
- "Suspend the aid to the war-torn country"
6. Be very cold, below the freezing point
- "It is freezing in kalamazoo"
7. Change from a liquid to a solid when cold
- "Water freezes at 32 degrees fahrenheit"
- freeze out,
- freeze down
8. Prohibit the conversion or use of (assets)
- "Blocked funds"
- "Freeze the assets of this hostile government"
9. Anesthetize by cold
10. Suddenly behave coldly and formally
- "She froze when she saw her ex-husband"